Galaxy S8 offers an impressive Infinity display, a connected services ecosystem and a smart interface
SEOUL, Korea – March 29, 2017 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., presents the world Galaxy S8, a smartphone that crosses the borders of traditional smartphones with its integrated hardware design and a variety of new offers services.
With the launch of multiple services and applications, as well as an impressive Infinity Display for immersive viewing experiences, Galaxy S8 brings a new level of functionality and convenience, opening a galaxy of possibilities.
“Samsung Galaxy S8 inaugurates a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening new ways to experience the world,” said DJ Koh, president of the Samsung Electronics Mobile Communications Business.
“Galaxy S8 is our legacy to regain your trust by redefining what is possible in security and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy,” he added.
See and experience more
Galaxy S8 is based on Samsung’s heritage of creating impressive designs and functional devices. Available in 5.8-inch Galaxy S8 and 6.2-inch Galaxy S8 +, the Infinity display and bezel-free design form a smooth, continuous surface with no buttons or aggressive angles.
The result is a truly immersive viewing experience without distractions and makes multitasking more convenient. The compact design of the Galaxy S8 allows comfortable one-handed operation and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on the front and back for durability and a high-quality finish.
The Galaxy Foundation
In addition to new design innovations, Samsung continues to offer cutting-edge technology, including an advanced camera, improved performance and more of the devices that users love, including:
- Premium Camera: Galaxy S8 is equipped with an advanced 8MP F1.7 autofocus F1 camera and a 12MP F1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera for the best low-light, zoom and anti-blur photos with enhanced image processing.
- Powerful performance: High-performance packaging and connectivity, Galaxy S8 has the first 10 nm processor in the industry, which allows for greater speed and efficiency. It is also gigabit LTE and Gigabit Wi-Fi ready with support for up to 1 Gbps so users can download files quickly, regardless of file size.
- Robust Entertainment: As the world’s first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as MOBILE HDR PREMIUMTM, the Galaxy S8 allows you to see the same vibrant colors and contrasts that filmmakers wanted to watch while watching their favorite shows. In addition, the Galaxy S8 offers top-level gaming experiences with vivid and optimal graphics technology, as well as Game Pack, with top-notch game titles, including titles selected with the support of the Vulkan API.
- The global standard in mobile security: Galaxy S8 is built on Samsung Knox, a defense-grade security platform. In addition, Galaxy S8 offers a wide selection of biometric technologies including a fingerprint scanner, iris scanner, and facial recognition so that users can select a secure biometric authentication method that works best for them.
Galaxy S8 will also come with the fundamental features of Galaxy that our customers have come to love, including:
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- MicroSD support up to 256 GB
- Always active screen
- Fast and wireless charging capacity
The new way to interact with your phone
Bixby is a smart interface that will help users get more from the phone. With the new Bixby button, you can easily access Bixby and navigate through services and applications with simple voice, touch, vision and text commands. At launch, Bixby’s voice feature will be integrated with various Samsung applications and native features, such as camera, contacts, gallery, messages and settings, with the plan to expand its capabilities to include more Samsung and third-party applications in a Next future. Contextual knowledge capabilities allow Bixby to offer personalized help based on what he continues to learn about the user’s interests, situation, and location.
Users can also buy, search for images and get details about nearby places with Bixby’s image recognition technology. As the Bixby ecosystem grows, it will connect through devices, applications, and services as a ubiquitous interface and open new experiences and scenarios to simplify life.
Beyond the telephone experiences
Galaxy S8 offers a solid portfolio of products and services that elevates the phone experience for premium mobile productivity and connectivity.
Galaxy S8 unlocks the new Gear VR with a controller, powered by Oculus. By enabling control and navigation with one hand, the controller provides better motion interaction when accessing interactive VR content. Galaxy S8 will also connect to the new Gear 360 to create 360-degree 4K videos and 15MP photos.
Taking advantage of the processing power of Galaxy S8 to improve productivity, Samsung DeX is a unique solution that transforms your smartphone into a computer providing a secure computing experience.
With Samsung DeX, users can easily view and edit data from their phone, making working from a smartphone faster and smarter.
In addition, as more IoT devices enter the market and the connected network becomes more complex, Samsung Connect simplifies the management of smart devices. With Samsung Connect, users can easily activate IoT-enabled devices through a quick three-step configuration process and manage all connected devices through an integrated application.
Galaxy S8 also comes with the enhanced Samsung Health service, expanding one of Samsung’s most widely used services with 60 million monthly active users and 11 million daily active users worldwide. Samsung Health includes tele-health services, personal coaching, social capabilities that redefine traditional health and fitness.
Users can leave their physical wallet behind with Samsung Pay, turning their Galaxy S8 into a digital wallet that they can use almost anywhere they use a credit or debit card. With more than 870 banking associations worldwide, Samsung Pay has processed more than 240 million transactions to date.
The new high-performance headphones tuned by AKG by Harman that offer uncompromising audio for unbeatable sound quality will come as an in-box accessory.
These headphones will have a comfortable hybrid adjustment of the channel for better noise cancellation and will be made with an anti-tangle metal cloth material.
Galaxy S8 will be available from April 21st and will be offered in a rich color palette such as Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue and Maple Gold.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and designs the future with innovative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the world of TVs, smartphones, wearables, tablets, cameras, appliances, medical equipment, connection systems, semiconductors and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Press Room at http://news.samsung.com.